Internet access and conditions of use
- The Internet access in the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek serves exclusively for scholarly and scientific purposes, in particular to use our digital documents and databases, as well as for academic research.
- The relevant legal regulations are applicable.
With my registration I agree with the conditions of use for the Internet access and the electronic media at the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. I undertake to comply with the relevant legal provisions.
After finishing your research please always ensure that all browser windows are closed, so as to prevent any improper use with your user identification!
To use the Internet access you need to be a registered user of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. You need to obtain a reader pass, which is also required for ordering items in the OPACplus.
In case you do not have a reader pass yet, you can request it at the service desk 1 in front of the entrance to the General Reading Room (open Monday – Friday 9:00 – 17:00), or at the Anmeldung (registration office) on the ground floor (open Monday – Friday 10:00 – 19:00). Together with your reader pass you receive a user number and a password, both of which are needed for enabling the Internet access. Please note that no reader passes are issued on Saturdays and Sundays.
- The use of the electronic media is limited to exclusively private users for their own academic or other private use.
- For this purpose it is allowed, in addition to researching and browsing on the screen, to also download and print out small parts.
- The systematic or automated download of data or database extracts is prohibited.
- Any type of use for commercial purposes is forbidden.
- In the event of suspected misuse, the respective provider of electronic media can block access for individual users temporarily or permanently.
Generally the use of the Internet at the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek is subject to the same regulations which are applicable also to the use of books and other media: In accordance with the Allgemeine Benützungsordnung der Bayerischen Staatlichen Bibliotheken (General Regulations for the Use of the Bavarian State Libraries – ABOB) of 18 August 1993 the offer serves for academic, professional or educational purposes, but not for entertainment. For this reason, it is strictly forbidden to visit Internet addresses which serve entertainment or which are of an offensive or even illegal nature. Concerning the latter, reference is made to the relevant protective provisions of the German Penal Code, Youth Protection Act and Data Protection Act. Users are strongly reminded that the following actions in particular are punishable by law, the relevant provisions of the German Penal Code (StGB) being referred to in brackets:
- Spying on other persons' passwords, spying on data (Art. 202 a StGB)
- Illegal altering, deleting, suppressing or disabling of data (Art. 303 a StGB)
- Computer sabotage (Art. 303 b StGB) and computer fraud (Art. 263 a StGB)
- Propagating of propaganda materials of unconstitutional organizations (Art. 86 StGB) or of racist ideas (Art. 131 StGB)
- Propagating of pornography in the Internet (Art. 184 para. 3 StGB), as well as retrieving and owning documents with child pornography (Art. 184 para. 5 StGB)
- Defamation of character, such as insults or libel (Art. 185 et seq. StGB)
The Bavarian State Library accepts no responsibility for consequences resulting from user activities in the Internet, such as e.g. financial obligations incurred through orders or the use of chargeable services.
It is prohibited to use the Internet workstations of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek for commercial purposes.
Any misuse of the service will be punished by exclusion from use. The perpetrator will be held liable for any culpably caused damages.