Audio guide 055
Heinrich Hoffmann on the patio of the Berghof villa on the Obersalzberg
The Obersalzberg, forming part of the municipality of Berchtesgaden, had been a popular tourist destination since the end of the 19th century. Hitler spent his holidays there for the first time in 1923. In 1933, he acquired the so-called Berghof (originally called Haus Wachenfeld) and converted it into a second residence, where he also received visitors. In the course of Hitler’s seizure of power, the village underwent a thorough change. Together with the Kehlstein mountain, it was declared an exclusion zone for the Fuehrer.
Heinrich Hoffmann (company), 20 July 1939