Conditions of Use
The Bayerische Staatsbibliothek offers free-of-charge Internet access to registered users.
The Internet access at the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek serves exclusively for academic purposes, in particular for the use of documents provided in electronic form and databases, as well as scholarly research. The relevant statutory provisions are applicable to the use of the Internet.
For accessing the Internet, you need to be a registered user of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. Your user number/ access identification is required, which is also used for ordering items in the OPACplus.
In case you do not have a reader pass yet, you can obtain one at the registration office (Anmeldung/ Zulassung) on the ground floor. Together with the reader pass, you are given a user number and a password, which will enable you to also access the Internet.
Internet use for persons without reader pass:
Alternative access identification options for the WLAN of the Munich academic network (Wissenschaftsnetz)
Use of electronic media
Electronic journals, e-books, databases
- The electronic media may be used exclusively by private users, for their own academic or other private purposes.
- In addition to researching and viewing on the screen it is admissible to also download and print out small extracts for this purpose.
- However, any systematic or automated download of data or database extracts is prohibited.
- Any type of use for commercial purposes is prohibited.
- In the event of suspected misuse, the respective provider of electronic media can block access for individual users temporarily or permanently.
Generally, the use of the Internet in the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek is subject to the same regulations which are applicable also to the use of books and other media: In accordance with the General Regulations on the Use of Bavarian State Libraries (Allgemeine Benützungsordnung der Bayerischen Staatlichen Bibliotheken – ABOB) of 18 August 1993, the service may be used for academic, professional or educational purposes, but not for entertainment. It is prohibited to call up any entertaining, offensive or illegal Internet addresses. Concerning the latter, reference is made to the relevant protective provisions of the penal law, the protection of young persons act and the data protection law.
It is expressly pointed out that the following manners of conduct in particular are prosecuted as punishable offences pursuant to the penal code (StGB):
- Spying out other persons' passwords, spying out data (Art. 202 a StGB), unauthorized change, deletion, suppression or disablement of data (Art. 303 a StGB)
- Computer sabotage (Art. 303 b StGB) and computer fraud (Art. 263a StGB)
- Disseminating propaganda means of unconstitutional organisations (Art. 86 StGB) or racist ideas (Art. 131 StGB)
- Disseminating pornography on the Internet (Art. 184 para. 3 StGB), as well as retrieving and owning documents containing child pornography (Art. 184 para. 5 StGB)
- Defamatory offences such as slander or libel (Arts. 185 et seq. StGB)
The Bayerische Staatsbibliothek does not assume liability for any consequences arising from the activities of the users in the Internet, such as financial obligations incurred by ordering items or using services that are subject to charges.
It is prohibited to use the Internet access provided by the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek for commercial purposes.
Any misuse of the provided service will be punished by barring the responsible user from further use and holding him/ her liable for any damage caused culpably.