For disabled users
In case you require special assistance during your visit to the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, you can notify the reception office in advance (phone: +49 89 28638-2220).
Due to construction work by the Stadtwerke (department of public works) Munich on a district cooling pipeline, access to the BSB's parking lot for disabled visitors will be possible exclusively via the entrance at Kaulbachstrasse 9 (Bavarian Supreme Audit Office) as of Monday, 27 January 2020, presumably up to 1 March 2020. Please note that the Kaulbachstrasse is a one-way street in the direction of the Schönfeldstrasse. We apologize for any inconvenience caused by this limitation.
The Bayerische Staatsbibliothek provides parking space reserved to disabled persons on the south side of the building (marked as disabled parking space, secured by a gate with intercom system). To the right of the door there is a bell marked with a wheelchair symbol. Please ring the bell to obtain assistance.
Access option for users with impaired mobility via the post office:
Monday – Thursday → 7:30 – 15:30 | Friday → 7:30 – 12:00
How to find us/ Parking space (PDF, 35 KB)
- To get from the disabled parking space (basement) to the local lending area (ground floor) please use the central elevators near the cafeteria (basement floor). After leaving the elevator please turn left.
- The General Reading Room (1st floor) is accessible via the same central elevators. After leaving the elevator please also turn left. The guard at the entrance to the reading room will help you pass the partition.
- To get to the Periodicals Reading Room (basement floor) please cut cross the cafeteria (basement floor) or, if you are in the General Reading Room (1st floor), use the connecting elevator.
- To get to the special reading rooms (1st to 3rd floor) please use the central elevators from the basement floor or ground floor to the 1st floor and there again turn left towards the great staircase. Cutting across the gallery of the great stair case will take you to the Fürstensaal.
The Reading Room for Music, Maps and Images (1st floor) is in the right wing of the building.
The Reading Room for Manuscripts and Rare Books (1st floor) is in the left wing of the building.
To get to the Aventinus Reading Room (2nd floor) please use the elevator in the Fürstensaal.
To get to the East European, Oriental and Asian Reading Room (3rd floor) please use the elevator in the Fürstensaal.
- For wheelchair users
in the General Reading Room (1st floor) correspondingly marked workplaces (202 to 204) are reserved in the first row of tables at the right next to the entrance to the collection area.
- For users with impaired vision
on the ground floor there are two PC workplaces (labelled) with ZoomText support software (max. 36 times enlargement), and in the General Reading Room, at the right at the window front, there are two workplaces (168 and 169) also with ZoomText software.
In the basement, in the area of the cafeteria, in front of the entrance to the Periodicals Reading Room on the right, there are some specially marked lockers. The keys can be obtained at the reception office.
A disability-adapted toilet is accessible via the Periodicals Reading Room (basement floor). The door can be opened through operating the switch on the right-hand side.