Preliminary simplified registration
The preliminary simplified registration process is provided exclusively for users of legal age, of at least 18 years and having a registered place of residence in Germany.
For students of the Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich (LMU), this registration process is not required, since the LMUcard enables access to the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek as well. Questions (e.g. on validity extensions) with respect to all library cards issued by the University Library of the Ludwig-Maximilians University Munich (e.g. for employees, postgraduate students, institutes and faculties), need to be directed to the University Library of the Ludwig-Maximilians University.
All other persons (exclusively users of legal age, at least 18 years old, and having a registered place of residence in Germany), who are not connected to the Ludwig-Maximilians University, can register with the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek by following the described procedure:
- You can download the so-called "Reversschein" (Acknowledgement of receipt, in German) from our website. Please fill it in and sign it
Reversschein (PDF for download, 126 KB)
- Please scan or photograph this "Reversschein" and send it to the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, for example as a PDF file via e-mail to the address:
- Additionally, please scan or photograph the following documents. Please ensure good legibility.
a. Both sides of your valid personal ID with registered current place of residence in Germany
(in the case of foreign personal IDs possibly with a current confirmation of place of residence of your community's registry office) OR
b. Valid passport, together WITH confirmation of place of residence by your municipality
c. If you don’t have a current confirmation of place residence, the library’s employees can ascertain your address at the residents’ registration office.
d. Students need to submit also their valid confirmation of enrolment (alternatively a copy of the valid student identity card).
e. Non-EU residents need to scan or photograph both sides of their residence title and/or visa in addition.
- When these documents are present, a library account is generated which is limited to 4 weeks.
- You will receive your login credentials (BSB ID and password) via e-mail (not encrypted).
- The user has the option to come to the registration office of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, bring the originals of the above-stated documents to thus extend or unlock the user account and collect the original of the library card. This enables regular use of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. The original of the library card is required for access to the reading rooms, among other things. If the library card has not been collected after one year, the library account will be deleted promptly, provided that no borrowings or open fees are recorded on the account.
Information on data protection with respect to registration for use (in German) (PDF, 121 KB)