Contact Interlibrary Loan
Fernleihe / ILL
|Phone||+49 89 28638-2413|
+49 89 28638-2414
+49 89 28638-2831
|Fax||+49 89 28638-2788|
The interlibrary loan system can be used for ordering literature for your scholarly work, vocational purposes or education and further training, which literature is not available at the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek or in the collections of any other library in Munich.
Owners of a valid reader pass of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek are in principle entitled to make use of the interlibrary loan system.
Such students and employees of the Munich universities and colleges (Ludwig-Maximilians Universität München, Technische Universität München, Hochschule München and other colleges) are excluded, whose user number starts with the digits 03 – 10, 11, 14, 27, 31 – 39, 40 – 50, 79, 80 or 84.
In this case, please use the interlibrary loan options of the library of your university or college.
Pursuant to the German Interlibrary Loan Code (Leihverkehrsverordnung, LVO), the following media are excluded from the staff- and cost-intensive interlibrary loan procedure:
- Works which are available locally (this also encompasses works which are currently on loan, temporarily untraceable or form part of the non-lending, reference collection)
- Works conveying elementary or purely practical knowledge and skills (e.g. entertainment or hobby literature, travel guides, textbooks and non-fiction books)
- Works which are available from book traders at a price of up to € 15
- Loose-leaf editions
- Bound volumes of newspapers and other large-format works
- New editions which cannot be expected to be available for lending yet (this refers to a time span of around ten months from the date of publication)
- Diploma, bachelor of arts, master of arts theses, exam works and other theses for different types of degrees
- DIN standards
Apart from this, libraries frequently also exclude the following media from interlibrary loan:
- Works that are used frequently locally
- Works from reference collections and reading rooms
- Works which are particularly valuable or old or require special protection
- Works in a bad state of conservation
Option 1: Order via the Gateway Bayern
- Search in the Gateway Bayern
In the case that you cannot find a required title in the OPACplus/ BSB Catalogue, please continue your search in the Gateway Bayern.
The Gateway Bayern is the Bavarian union catalogue (BVB) and contains the holdings of all academic libraries in Bavaria.
- Below the search mask "Erweiterte Suche" (extended search), you have the option in the section "weitere Kataloge" (further catalogues) to also tick off the other German union catalogues, such that these catalogues are searched simultaneously.
- The hit list will then show you all hits, subdivided into the individual library unions.
- In the individual hit list of the BVB ("Alle BVB-Datenbanken"), all libraries holding the required work are always listed under "Bestand im BVB" (holdings within the BVB).
- First, you should verify there whether the title is available after all at a library in Munich. If so, you cannot order this title via interlibrary loan, but have to borrow it directly from the library in question.
- Clicking on the individual libraries takes you directly to their corresponding local catalogues. There, you can obtain information about the exact location or can order the item, e.g. at the University Library of the LMU.
- An interlibrary loan order can be placed by clicking the SFX button.
- A new window is opened containing "Services für diesen Treffer" (services for this hit).
Clicking on "Fernleihe im Bibliotheksverbund Bayern" (interlibrary loan within the Bavarian library association) opens a registration box in a further window.
- For registration, your user number and your password of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek are required. As home library, please select "BSB München".
- Desired title not found?
- In case you cannot find the desired title by searching the Gateway Bayern, you have the option to place an unlimited interlibrary loan order by clicking on "weitere Angebote" (further services) and "Freie Fernleihe" (unlimited interlibrary loan).
- Please note: When you wish to order a copy, you always have to search for the title of the journal or of the omnibus volume, not for the title of the article.
Option 2: Order via the OPACplus
- When your search has not yielded any hits in the OPACplus/ BSB catalogue, you also have the option to stay in the OPACplus for the time being and check the search results in the third tab "Verbundkatalog/ Fernleihe" (union catalogue/ interlibrary loan).
However, in so doing please note that this search will only find items in the collections of the BVB. No further German union catalogues can be searched.
- In the hit list, clicking on "Fernleihe" (interlibrary loan – which will work only on condition that you have logged into the OPACplus with your user data) will take you directly to the interlibrary loan input mask, using which you will be able to place an order.
- Desired title not found?
In case you have not found the correct item, you can also place an unlimited interlibrary loan order (via "Freie Fernleihbestellung" – unlimited interlibrary loan order – at the end of the hit list). However, it is recommendable to first carry out a search of the other German union catalogues via the Gateway Bayern (as described above with reference to Option 1 in the section Via the Gateway Bayern.
Booking of the orders
- Your interlibrary-loan book orders are listed in your user account in the OPACplus immediately after placing the order.
- However, orders of copies cannot be checked in the user account in the OPACplus, but are listed exclusively in the Gateway Bayern under "weitere Angebote" (further services), "Kontoanzeige Fernleih-Kopien" (account display interlibrary loan copies).
Processing and delivery time
The time for processing an interlibrary loan order and delivery of the desired item usually amounts to 1 to 4 weeks.
You will be notified by e-mail or mail as soon as the ordered book or the ordered copy has arrived and is available for collection. In case an order cannot be processed or when there are questions concerning your order, you will also be notified by e-mail or mail.
In order for our notifications to reach you quickly, we kindly ask you to enter your e-mail address in your user data in the OPACplus, unless you have already done so anyway. Otherwise, all notifications and messages will be sent by mail.
An alternative for urgently required literature
Experience shows that placing an interlibrary loan order is not expedient if literature is required urgently. For this purpose, please use the direct delivery services, which can guarantee to provide you with the required materials at a charge within 3 days.
Collection, location of collection
The media ordered via interlibrary loan can be collected against production of your reader pass at the collection counter stated in the notification.
Please note that the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek must comply with the requirements and loan conditions of the libraries owning the items on loan. The media ordered via interlibrary loan can consequently not always be collected at the desired collection counter.
Ordered copies can usually be collected at the local-lending counter.
Important! The yellow data carrier enclosed with the media contains the interlibrary-loan order number. Please be sure to return this data carrier together with the book.
The conditions applicable to interlibrary loan items with regard to loan term, extension of loan term and reminders correspond to the general regulations of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. In addition, the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek must comply with the requirements of the libraries owning the items on loan.
Extensions of loan term
Like in the case of items loaned from the collections of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, you can request extensions yourself in the OPACplus.
Book orders within the German loan system
For interlibrary loan orders within the German interlibrary loan system, a fee of € 1.50 per order is charged regardless of successful provision of the desired item.
Please note that this fee must be paid also in the case that it is impossible to make the ordered item available to you.
Orders of copies within the German loan system
In the German loan system, a nominal charge of € 1.50 per copy is billed.
In special cases, for example copies of over 100 pages, the fees incurred may be higher. Such fees will always be billed only after we have notified you and received your feedback, however.
Declaration of consent
By sending the interlibrary loan order, you agree to pay the costs incurred.
Orders of items from abroad
Additional fees are incurred in different amounts when items are ordered from abroad.
You are always informed and asked whether you are prepared to pay the additional costs before an interlibrary loan order is entered in the international interlibrary loan system.
Placing your order
When you need a book from the collections of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek, but you do not live in Munich, please contact your local library. An interlibrary loan order can be placed from your local library in this case.
Responsible local library
Your home library usually is the nearest university library or regional library. Interlibrary loan orders can frequently also be placed via city libraries or community libraries.
Please inquire at your local library about the conditions and costs possibly incurred by an interlibrary loan order.
Please note that we cannot confirm in binding fashion whether a medium can be made available via interlibrary loan prior to your order placement.
In case you wish to extend the loan period of an item from the collections of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek please contact your home library first. This is also applicable to all other special issues.
Placing your order
In the event that you cannot use the central interlibrary loan server (ZFL, BVB libraries) or the interlibrary loan portal of your library association for ordering an item online, please place an unlimited order or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Orders placed by e-mail must always contain the following data:
- Complete bibliographic specifications
- BSB class mark
- Your internal order number
- Your library's institution code
- Your complete address
- If applicable, further information, e.g. the amount of cost absorption, desired edition
In the case that sending an e-mail is not possible either, you can of course also send us an order slip.
For orders of copies which do not reach us online we additionally require the form linked below, filled in completely and signed by your library user.
Form for confirming the non-commercial use of ordered copies (PDF, 18 KB)
In case you have any questions, complaints or difficulties, please contact us via the enquiry function of the central interlibrary loan server (ZFL, BVB libraries) or send an e-mail (libraries belonging to other library associations).
In the event of technical problems, please contact the responsible system administrator. The contact person for the Bavarian library association is Mr. Jäkle (email@example.com).
Requests for home loan
To request items for home loan, please send us an e-mail, a fax or a written request by mail, containing all corresponding data.
Fax +49 89 28638-2788
Loan period for media from the collections of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek
The basic loan period for interlibrary loan items is 6 weeks and is extended twice automatically by 4 weeks in each case.
For bound journal volumes, the loan period is only 3 weeks, plus a one-off, automatic extension by 2 weeks.
Extensions can be granted under reserve only. As soon as a title is reserved by another library user, you will receive a written request to send the medium back to us within 10 days.
The Bayerische Staatsbibliothek does not charge fees for the interlibrary loan of media. This is applicable with the exception of a fee of € 1.50 for each successfully concluded supraregional interlibrary loan procedure. The "working group of cooperative systems" has concluded a corresponding agreement. The fees are settled once annually on 30 June. For more detailed information please contact your association's headquarters.
We do not charge fees for deliveries of copies up to 40 pages. Starting from 41 pages, the following flat charges are applicable:
|41 – 60 pages||6,00 €|
|61 – 80 pages||8,00 €|
|81 – 100 pages||10,00 €|
For Bavarian libraries, these fees are entered in a settlement database. This database forms part of the central interlibrary loan server (ZFL). The fees are settled once annually on 30 June. Libraries of other associations receive individual invoices. In the case of electronic delivery, the invoice will be dispatched by separate mail.
Placing your order
If you would like to order a medium from the holdings of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek via international interlibrary loan, please order the desired title via Gateway Bayern.
A detailed description of the ordering process can be found in the quick reference guide "How to place an ILL order" or in the help pages of the Gateway Bayern.
Quick reference guide "How to place an ILL order" (PDF, 692 KB)
Gateway Bayern > Help
In case you have not yet registered for our Bavaria-wide international interlibrary loan system and do not have access data for this system, kindly send us an e-mail containing all data on your library (full name, ISIL, address, e-mail address). We will register you without delay to enable you to place your order in person.
If your library is a member of OCLC WorldShare, you are welcome to place your order via OCLC WorldShare. The international institution code of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek is GEBAY.
Our fees can be gathered from the price list in the Gateway Bayern or from the Policies directory in OCLC WorldShare.