The Provincial Library of Amberg was founded in 1803 for the purpose of accommodating the books from the dissolved monasteries in the region of the Upper Palatinate. These collections were merged with the library of the college, the "Studienanstalt", and the holdings of the Jesuit college that had been incorporated in the college library earlier. Today, the Provincial Library holds around 135,000 books. The historical collections of almost 40,000 volumes were published predominantly before 1800, with a further 5,000 works dating from the 19th century. In addition, there are 200 manuscripts, 450 music manuscripts and over 300 incunabula (early printed books up to the year 1500).
Staatliche Bibliothek Amberg
(State Library Amberg)