Loans for exhibitions
If you wish to borrow items for your exhibition, please send a written application to:
Department of Manuscripts and Rare Books
Application form (Word file, 16 KB)
Manuscripts and early and valuable printed works:
Special conditions (PDF, 22 KB)
Loans for exhibitions
Loans for exhibitions in 2016 (PDF, 96 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2015 (PDF, 97 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2014 (PDF, 98 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2013 (PDF, 111 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2012 (PDF, 105 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2011 (PDF, 33 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2010 (PDF, 32 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2009 (PDF, 33 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2008 (PDF, 32 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2007 (PDF, 30 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2006 (PDF, 39 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2005 (PDF, 41 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2004 (PDF, 35 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2003 (PDF, 38 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2002 (PDF, 36 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2001 (PDF, 79 KB)
Loans for exhibitions in 2000 (PDF, 37 KB)
In addition to its own exhibitions the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek is making a considerable cultural contribution on a regional, national and international level by lending exhibits to other exhibitions in Bavaria, the rest of Germany and also internationally. In the decade from 2000 to 2009 alone some 6,000 exhibits from the holdings of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek were shown in 750 exhibitions, among them 286 German exhibitions outside Bavaria and 147 exhibitions abroad.
Information about the provision of loans for exhibitions
Manuscripts and printed books normally serve scholarly purposes, professional work and further education, even if they are of museum quality. When on display in exhibitions, they are withdrawn from normal consultation and are exposed to dangers concerning their state of conservation. Applicants are therefore kindly asked to understand that library collections can be provided as loans for exhibitions only in particularly well-justified cases, and that strict conservational conditions must be imposed in order to minimize the risk of damage to the items on loan.
- Loans can be provided only for exhibitions with a cultural and academic purpose, but on principle not for exhibitions with a duration of more than three months, for displays of large quantities of material or for touring exhibitions.
- The organizer of the exhibition as well as the responsible legal entity must guarantee that the obligations specified in the loan contract are fulfilled.
- Loans must be requested by written application at least 1 year before the start of an exhibition so as to permit the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek to take the necessary preparatory measures (examination of the condition of the object, if required carrying out conservation or restoration work, production of digital surrogates, manufacture of cases for transport, etc.). In addition to the specification of the desired loan items, the application for a loan must specify the duration and location of the exhibition as well as the scope and composition of the material to be displayed. Please enclose the filled-in application form specifying all required data in your letter.
Application form (Word file, 16 KB)
In the case that manuscripts and/ or early and valuable printed works are to be exhibited, the application for a loan must be submitted at least 6 months before the start of the exhibition (see below).
- The premises used for the exhibition must be protected adequately against fire, water, theft and burglary. Library materials may be displayed exclusively in locked showcases with laminated security glass. In order to ensure proper conservation and protection of the items on loan, an indoor climate must be created which is suitable for books (relative humidity of around 50 %), and damage by exposure to light must be avoided (no direct daylight, lighting level not exceeding 50 lux, rooms darkened outside viewing hours).
- Items on loan may be used exclusively for the approved purpose. No use by third parties is permitted. No interference with the physical condition of an item or restoration work is permitted. The setting up and dismantling of the exhibition must be carried out by persons who are experienced in the handling of books according to current standards of conservation. The library's explicit permission must be sought for any photographic work, including filming and featuring on television.
- All costs arising, e.g. for preparatory measures, packaging, transport and customs clearance of the items on loan, are borne by the borrower.
- In the event that, after the submission of an application for a loan, the specified loan items are no longer required, the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek is entitled to charge the borrower for the costs incurred up to the time of cancellation.
- The Bayerische Staatsbibliothek takes out insurance for the items on loan with the agency Aon Versicherungsmakler Deutschland GmbH, Aon Artscope. Insurance is taken out against all risks and with "nail-to-nail" coverage. The premium will be invoiced by the insurance company directly to the borrower and must be paid directly by the borrower to the insurance company. In the event that the borrower is a state or government organization of the Free State of Bavaria, the principle of self-insurance of the Free State of Bavaria is applicable (administrative regulation VV-BayHO no. 2.4 relating to Art. 34 BayHO [Bavarian Budget Code]).
The borrower declares agreement with the insurance values determined by the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek and undertakes to make compensation for damages up to the amount of these values, also including compensation in excess of the obligations of the insurance company.
- For the loan a written loan contract is concluded, which specifies the exact contractual obligations, and which is sent to the borrower by the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek. The signed loan contract must be submitted to the lender 4 weeks prior to the start of the loan period at the latest.
Loan of manuscripts and early and valuable printed works for exhibitions
Regarding the loan of manuscripts and early and valuable printed works for exhibitions, special loan conditions are applicable in addition to the above-mentioned conditions, which are summed up in the following form.