Born in Berlin in 1940.
1956 to 1959 training as a photographer in Emmendingen. 1960 to 1965 studies of photo journalism with Otto Steinert at the Folkwang University of the Arts in Essen. Afterwards initially freelancer for book publishers and magazines. Photo reporter at the STERN from 1968 to 2005.
- 1963 World Press Photo Awards, category "General News / Singles": 1st Price, feature + category "Public’s Favorite / Singles": Individual Award
- 1964 World Press Photo Awards, category "Most Artistic Press Photo / Singles": 1st Price + category "Others / Singles": 1st Price
- 1965 German Youth Photography Award
- 1966 Silver Cup: 1st Cannes Photography Festival
- 1982 World Press Photo Awards, category "Arts and Sciences / Stories": 3rd Price
- 1986 Culture award of the city of Emmendingen
- 1993 Kodak Photo Book Award for the illustrated book "Pferde/ Horses/ Chevaux"
- 1996 Entry in the Guinness Book of Records; "Stute mit Fohlen" ("mare with foal"), the photo with the most copyright infringements worldwide
- 1998 Kodak Photo Calendar Award in bronze
- 2000 General Award at the M.I.L.K. Photography Competition in the category "Family"