Modern maps and atlases
Tips for searching maps and atlases
|We are always looking for ways to facilitate the search among and use of our collections.|
A handout contains information on the following topics:
(PDF, 2.97 MB)
In accordance with the collection mandate of a universal library, the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek acquires modern maps and atlases as geographically comprehensively as possible. The focus is on topographic cartographic works. Currently, the library preserves over 340,000 maps from the time after 1850.
- Bavaria: Maps, street maps of cities and locations, thematic maps: as comprehensively as possible. Legal deposits by Bavarian publishing houses; official publications
- Federal Republic of Germany: Official individual maps and cartographic works up to the scale 1:25,000
- European countries: Topographic maps up to the scale of 1:25,000 or 1:50,000
- Non-European countries: Topographic maps up to the scale of 1:100,000 or 1:200,000
- Basic world and national atlases and street maps of cities
- Nautical maps: Deposits by the Federal Maritime and Hydrographic Agency of Germany
- Thematic maps: A limited selection
- Old maps: Complementation of the outstanding collection
- Replacement of war losses
Due to their rarity there should be mentioned the "Türkiye harita" of a scale of 1:200,000 (published 1944 – 1957), cartographic works of northern India and Afghanistan (e.g. ten-verst map of the military district Turkestan), the former Soviet Union and geological cartographic works from Greece.
The map material on the First and Second World War published by the land survey agency of the German Reich (Reichsamt für Landesaufnahme) and the General Staff of the German army is extensive.
At the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek you can find thematic maps in particular on geology, agrology, history, administration, language, statistics, tourism and the climate. The focus here is on Bavarian and German works. In this context, the "Geological map of Prussia and neighbouring states", 1:25,000 merits mention. Astronomical and thematic maps of the US Geological Survey, geological cartographic works of Greece, Iran, parts of Africa and South America, as well as historical-thematic maps of Russia also form part of the collection.
Wolff, Hans: Die Kartenabteilung der Bayerischen Staatsbibliothek – eine Bilanz der letzten fünfzehn Jahre. In: Bibliotheksforum Bayern 26 (1998), p. 135-155.