Sponsors and Friends
With millions of books, a unique manuscript collection, innumerable maps, music materials and further treasures, the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek is one of the most important universal libraries in Europe and a first-class address internationally for everyone thirsty for knowledge. However, looking beyond the scope of routine operations, the library is faced with challenges which cannot be shouldered on the basis of state funds alone.
- Several million volumes, among them valuable manuscripts and rare printed works, are so heavily damaged that they can be made available for academic studies and research only within a very limited scope now. The annual budget is not sufficient to permit the restoration and conservational treatment of all urgent cases within the foreseeable future.
- The financial means for the maintenance and expansion of the collection of manuscripts and incunabula, for which the library has been known from the start, are very limited, for which reason the library is frequently not in a position to keep up on the international market.
- The Bayerische Staatsbibliothek is a modern, multimedia information service provider for research and education, and an innovation centre for digital information technology and associated services. The library has to reposition itself again and again on the rapidly growing international information market. This can only be done successfully if the public appreciates the true significance of the library and is prepared to get involved.
All in all, the library needs also "private" help.
The association "Förderer und Freunde der Bayerischen Staatsbibliothek" wants to offer this kind of support, pursuing concrete objectives.
- Sponsorship of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek for
- acquiring outstanding items
- conserving books and manuscripts in danger of deterioration
- public-relations activities (exhibitions & events)
- Anchoring the objectives and the mission of the Bayerische Staatsbibliothek in the public's awareness
- Supporting and enhancing international cooperation
- Raising of funds and of benefits in kind